I am an avid nature photographer. I take at least one picture every day. My favorite subjects are birds and lighthouses. If you find my photography pleasing and want to use any of my photos for non-commercial purposes, please ask for permission.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Small Town in Indiana

There is a small town in Indiana with several large murals painted on buildings.  It is in Noble County.  It is Ligioner.

I have a daughter that lives in Ft. Wayne, IN.  She has a 5 year old daughter that we really like to spend time with.  I also buy most of my beef in Shipshewana, IN because it is hormone free.  So to get to Ft. Wayne from Shipshewana we usually take highway 5.  It goes through Ligionier.  The town has many gorgeous murals on what was very drab sides of buildings.  They say there are nearly 12.  I have not seen them all, but someday I need to stop and see several things in the town.  The Ligonier Historical Museum was built in the late 1800s as a Jewish Temple and features beautiful stain-glass windows. The museum is home to more than 1,000 artifacts relating to the city¹s past. It is operated by volunteers.  I need to visit that.  I love stain-glass windows.

             When you are coming into the downtown area from the north this is the first mural you will see.


It depicts how Ligonier was in 1835.  It is a gorgeous mural.

When you get on one of the side streets, you see this one.



It is interesting because it shows the businesses of the past and the people that owned them.  This is my favorite mural that I have seen so far.

The one pictured below is on the other end of the downtown area so when you come in from the south you see this one.



The sun did not let me get a real good picture, but it also is a beautiful mural.

Pictured below is an example of one of these types that tells about some of the people that were insturmental to the town's development.



Once I decided to write this blog about Ligionier I did some research and plan to go there to spend time and see what other interesting things I can find out about the town.

I hope you have enjoyed my photos of murals in a small town in rural Indiana.

1 comment:

  1. The murals really are beautiful. I'm amazed that they are vandalized with grafitti, etc.

    ReplyDelete